Contributors: H.C. Ross, Edwin Tay, John Tweeddale, Hansang, Joe, T. Bridges

    Sunday, January 29, 2006

    John Tweeddale: Commenting on Little Commentating on a Lengthy Commentary

    Background:

    I am in my first year of the PhD course here at New College. Prior to coming to Edinburgh, I spent the last seven years in the grand state of Mississippi! I pursued my undergraduate studies in Religion and Philosophy at William Carey College followed by graduate work in theology at Reformed Theological Seminary. While at RTS I met and married the love of my life - Angela! I am also a ministerial candidate in the Presbyterian Church in America.

    Research Interest:

    My thesis involves the theological and exegetical contributions of John Owen (1616-1683) and will focus on his introductory essays to his massive Exposition of the Epistle to the Hebrews. While Owen's reputation as an ecclesiastical statesman, educator, pastor, polemicist, and theologian are widely recognized, he is generally not remembered as a biblical exegete and commentator. This is somewhat surprising given that one of Owen's final accomplishments was the writing of a commentary. Finished just before his death, Owen's exposition of Hebrews was the product of nearly twenty years of study and the result of a lifetime of investigation into the text of Scripture. The final outcome was the production of one of the most exhaustive philological, exegetical, doctrinal, polemical, and pastoral treatises of seventeenth century Puritanism by one of its leading theologians.

    The specific themes of my thesis are still being ironed out. However, I hope to place my work not only within the growing field of Owen/Puritan scholarship but also within the developing field of the history of biblical interpretation - especially in regards to seventeenth century exegesis. As things develop, I will let you know!

    1 Comments:

    Blogger Shannon said...

    AWESOME! Hello John! Long time since WCC! Take care.

    8:48 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home