Contributors: H.C. Ross, Edwin Tay, John Tweeddale, Hansang, Joe, T. Bridges

    Sunday, January 29, 2006

    Chris Ross: Puritan Spirituality and the Counter Reformation

    I moved here with my wife Kimberly and one son two years ago (we now have two sons, Benjamin and Christopher), and after completing the MTh (Theology in History) here I began my PhD in ecclesiastical history. I am originally from Bryan, Texas, a medium-sized city not far from Houston. My theological background is dispensational, but I have held an interest in the Puritans ever since I learned about them during my college years.

    Imagine if a popular Protestant author with outspoken anti-Catholic views were to write a bestseller on spiritual growth (something like this) -- a bestseller that turned out to be copied, almost verbatim, from the work of a Roman Catholic! Unthinkable, you say? I agree. But that is exactly what happened in the case of Edmund Bunny, a godly English clergyman who translated and published the work of Robert Persons, an exiled English Jesuit, in 1584 -- a work called The First Book of the Christian Exercise, Appertayning to Resolution. Bunny made a few slight changes to Persons's text, rendering it less 'Catholic' and more palatable to a Protestant audience, and the work was a hit throughout the late 16th and 17th centuries. Among others, Richard Baxter later wrote that Bunny's book was instrumental in his own spiritual conversion.

    Bunny is one of four (or five) figures who will play starring roles in my dissertation. I plan on highlighting the variety of interesting and often surprising ways early Puritans responded to the formidably prolific spiritual literature of early modern Catholics like Persons. Ultimately I think my work will help to demonstrate that Puritan spirituality was more than an outgrowth of high Calvinist theology or an early Reformed hermeneutic. It was also constructed as a response to unique historical circumstances. And this, I believe, is true of all Christian 'spiritualities': they form where creed and context collide.

    (The painting depicts the founder of the Society of Jesus, Ignatius Loyola, whose followers produced devotional writings that were read in England in the 16th and 17th centuries. From http://www.daily-word-of-life.com/retreats_new_page.htm)

    2 Comments:

    Blogger Scott Nelson said...

    Chris,

    Good afternoon and "Gig 'em". I have had "The Conventicles" bookmarked for some time but have never looked at the blog until today. I was very excited to read that you are from Bryan, Texas, USA. I grew up in Bryan and have recently returned to the city. I am an ordained Southern Baptist and graduate of Southwestern Seminary who has become very interested in the Reformation, Reformed Theology, and the reformed churches of Scotland and Ireland. I look forward to returning to this blog, especially now that I have know that there is an "Ag" on it. I would ask for some help from you. Most of my reading on the above subjects of interest has been rather helter-skelter up to this point, mostly articles found on the web, and most of those off of Presbyterian (PCA) sites. Would you mind providing me with the titles of a couple of books that could help me with the subjects above? Thank you very much.

    Scott Nelson
    Bryan, Texas
    TAMU '74

    3:14 PM  
    Blogger Scott Nelson said...

    Chris,

    First time you and your family plan to be back in Bryan-College Station, please let me know. I would enjoy meeting you. In the meantime, I would invite you to visit the blog I started writing a in August. It deals with Reformed issues, church planting, China and a few other subjects. Stop by if you have time. It's www.tangiblethoughts.wordpress.com.
    Scott

    1:28 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home